**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Sunday, June 02, 2013

The Ghosting of Gods by Cricket Baker

If I had to describe THE GHOSTING OF GODS in one word, it would be unique. Uniquely strange. At first, I had a hard time getting into the novel because the story starts right away. There’s very little introduction as the author plunges into action right from the beginning. Sometimes, that can be a good thing, but in this case, since the world the main character lives in isn’t quite the one we know, I found it a little confusing. The opening scene was gripping, to be honest, but I had little insight on what was really going on, so the effect was lost on me.


Cricket Baker’s writing is dark and heavy. It’s full of double meanings and philosophical thoughts that makes you reevaluate the meaning of life and death. She has a great imagination to have created this expansive world full of mystery and paranormal elements. Ghosts appear in every corner of the book and just when you start to understand their presence, a little more is revealed about them, which completely shifts our understanding of this parallel world. This world is also undergoing some sort of religious metamorphosis which makes us meet some very strange characters.


The story follows Jesse’s quest into a parallel universe, in which he’s thrown in along with his best friend Poe, his ex-lover Ava and her daughter Leesel. Not knowing what happened or why they find themselves in this new world, their main objectives are to stick together and find a way to get back home. But easier said than done. Not many people of the world know how to travel from one world to another, and if any of them have a clue, they are very cryptic about it. Jesse is also trying to find a way to help his sister, whom he believes is in trouble, even if she is dead and trapped as a ghost. Her senseless murder has really affected him and he would do anything to be with his sister again. I like the idea that ghosts exists in Jesse’s world, and as an apprentice exorcist, he knows a thing or two about them. But when the author starts to describe crystal balls that hold the memories of ghosts, I got a little bit more confused. The idea was original but could have benefited from more explanations.


Personally, I thought the story was well detailed and well researched but the writing was a little bit too heavy for my taste. Also, I’m not a big fan of the first person present tense the book was written in, so I think that was one of the little things that didn’t work for me. GHOSTING OF THE GODS is not the type of book you’ll sit down and enjoy in one sitting. The book will literally make you think and analyze the details. While I would usually pass on this type of book, I did enjoy the gothic and macabre tone of the story. I’m sure the novel will find many readers that will enjoy the book more than I did.



stephsig_thumb-25255B1-25255D6

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

1 Person left their mark:

  1. The plot of this book does sound quite bizarre, but hey, I'm not one to shy away from weirdness. I love paranormal romance and urban fantasy, after all!

    There IS one element of this novel that does give me pause, though, and that's the element of horror. I don't like the horror genre at all.

    On the other hand, what you mention as a turnoff -- the heavy writing style -- I think I might actually like. I enjoy reading books written in a literary prose style. (Although I also greatly enjoy genre fiction.)

    Another big plus for me is the fact that the author actually makes the reader think, and think about very important subjects, all connected to the meaning of existence.

    All in all, I think I might very well take a stab at this book! Thanks for the excellent review!! :)

    ReplyDelete