**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Spartan Frost by Jennifer Estep

Spartan Frost by Jennifer Estep (Mythos Academy #4.5)Spartan Frost by Jennifer Estep

Book stats:
Reading level: Young adult
E-book: 46 pages
Genre: Urban fantasy
Publisher: Kensington
Release date: June 25, 2013

Series: Mythos Academy #4.5

Source: eARC via Netgalley

Reviewed by: Jenn

Purchase: Amazon

I’m Logan Quinn, the deadliest Spartan warrior at Mythos Academy. At least I was—until the day I almost killed Gwen Frost.

Professor Metis and Nickamedes say that I’m fine, that Loki and the Reapers don’t have a hold on me anymore, but I can’t risk it. I can’t risk hurting Gwen again. So I’m leaving Mythos and going somewhere far, far away.

I know Gwen wonders what’s happening to me, whether I’m safe. I can’t tell her, but this is my story…

WARNING: Do not read SPARTAN FROST unless you've finished CRIMSON FROST. The book deals with the aftermath of the climax of CRIMSON FROST so you'll be spoiling it for yourself if you jump to this.

Clocking in at under 50 pages, SPARTAN FROST is a brief glimpse into the life of Logan Quinn, the alpha male of Mythos Academy. I've been really excited to get my hands on this story because it's the first time we get to be in Logan's brain, and see just how he's coping with what happened in CRIMSON FROST (the previous novel), when his stepmother betrayed him and helped Loki to possess him, causing him to skewer Gwen (his girlfriend) through the chest with a sword. Free of Loki's influence, Logan's been shaken to the core and it gives the reader a chance to see our favourite Spartan off of his game. I'm kind of bummed there's no Logan on the cover of the e-book, especially since there's a super busty and cleavage-barring Gwen instead (and she's not in the story at all).

Logan retreats to his family's mansion in the Adirondacks but it doesn't take long for trouble to show up in the mountains. There's a bit of interaction with some Reapers -- and by interaction I mean swordplay! -- but the most interesting part of SPARTAN FROST was definitely getting into Logan's brain and seeing how he feels about Gwen and his father. Logan and Papa Quinn have an uneasy relationship and they're walking on eggshells around each other now that Agrona, Logan's stepmother, is gone. She was always a buffer between them and now these two men have to learn how to interact and get over their old feelings. This is what I was hoping to get in SPARTAN FROST and Jennifer Estep delivers.

If you're a Mythos Academy fan like me, you'll find SPARTAN FROST both satisfying and frustrating -- satisfying because we finally get to know Logan a bit better and frustrating because it's just too short! I'd suggest reading this just after finishing CRIMSON FROST or right before you start MIDNIGHT FROST (due out next month) because SPARTAN FROST will leave you begging for more time with the Mythos Academy kids!

Read an excerpt

Jenn

disclaimer_thumb[2]

Born and raised in the Toronto area, Jenn moved to St. John's, Newfoundland, eight years ago for school. She's still in school (thankfully on another degree!), now trapped in her dissertation. When she's not dissertating, which happens more often than it should, Jenn spends her time reading, watching movies, playing volleyball, travelling, and enjoying the local music scene. Her latest addictions: yoga and Almond Crunch cereal.

0 comments:

Post a Comment