**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Dead-Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan


The Dead-Tossed Waves had everything that I loved about The Forest of Hands and Teeth and more. Though it is not necessary to have read Book 1 in order to read The Dead-Tossed Waves, I'd most definitely recommend it, as it adds so much richness to the world that the author has created. The Dead-Tossed Waves is the story of Gabrielle. Her mother, who we know as Mary from The Forest of Hands and Teeth, grew up in the village with the Sisterhood, and finally escaped to the shore where she has raised Gabry as close to the ocean as possible.

Gabry lives in a world where zombies have taken over and have pushed the surviving humans to small, fenced in cities that are hundreds of miles apart. And with just one reckless decision, Gabry's entire life is changed. This is by no means a happy book. It can be quite depressing, but in the best possible way. The action begins in the very first pages, and quickly unfolds into deeper levels of mystery and risk. Every time I thought I knew what was coming, another twist in the road was right around the corner. The writing in this series is absolutely flawless. The way that the story and settings are crafted is one of my favorite things about this series. No matter what is happening, the reader is pulled straight to the scene and made to feel as though they are experiencing it first hand.

The Dead-Tossed Waves did something else that I don't see in a lot of other zombie books, which is explore the humanity of the zombies, or the Mudo, as they are called in the book. Instead of simply casting them as one-dimensional monsters, The Dead-Tossed Waves explored the hard questions of what exactly makes us human, and what differentiates us from those that we consider monsters.

Even though they are all technically "companions" to each other as opposed to sequential instalments in a series, I can easily say that this was one of the all-time best 'Book 2's in a series I've ever read. It took what was so intriguing about The Forest of Hands and Teeth and built upon it, creating an entirely new group of people that you will be rooting for, as well as throwing in much more romantic tension than the first book offered. Which I'm always a fan of! I absolutely cannot wait to start the third and final book in this series! If this one was any indication, I can't wait to see what Ms. Ryan has in store for us next!

Read an excerpt
 


helen

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

4 People left their mark' :

  1. I am glad you enjoyed this one! I LOVED the series. Book 3 nicely closes the whole series :)

    I thought the take on the mudo was fantastic, it almost makes me hesitant to read other zombie books.

    Ashley @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I love it!! It's definitely one of my favorite zombie series of all time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this series... I still need to read book three. *sigh* I think I'm afraid of it being over, so I keep putting it off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely hear you on that one, lol.

    ReplyDelete