**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Friday, November 11, 2011

Bitten by Kelley Armstrong

Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, #1)Bitten by Kelley Armstrong

Books Stats:
Reading level: Adult
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Paperback: 384 pages
Publisher: Plume
Release date: December 31, 2002

Series: Women of the Otherworld #1

Source: Personal Shelf

Reviewed by: Tynga

Purchase: Amazon | Book Depository

Elena Michaels seems like the typically strong and sexy modern woman, She lives with her architect boyfriend, writes for a popular newspaper, and works out at the gym. She's also a werewolf.

Elena has done all she can to assimilate to the human world, but the man whose bite changed her existence forever, and his legacy, continue to haunt her. Thrown into a desperate war for survival that tests her allegiance to a secret clan of werewolves, Elena must recon with who, and what, she is in this passionate, page-turning novel.


Elena Michaels never had an easy life but she’s a proud woman holding her head high against adversity. Her parents died when she was young, she was ill-treated in foster care and was betrayed in her teens when her boyfriend bit her, turning her into a werewolf. She is determined to leave her past in the past though, and moved to Toronto to create herself a very human life, with her very human boyfriend, working as a journalist. Her little island of peace will be disturbed though when Jeremy, alpha of the pack she’s trying to stay away from, calls her for help. Little did she know, her decision, in that particular moment, would change her life forever – again.

My good friend Lucy from Moonlight Gleam’s Bookshelf has been pushing me to read this series for months not, because it’s one of her favorite, and I finally gave in and picked up the first book. First, Bitten is quite thick (520 pages) and I have to admit I wasn’t very impressed at first. Don’t get me wrong, I love Kelley’s writing (read and loved her YA series), but the world building was a bit in the first 200 pages or so and while it wasn’t boring (mind you!) it wasn’t taking my breath away either. At some point in the book though, Elena and her on-and-off werewolf boyfriend Clay, headed back to Toronto seeking safety in Elena’s apartment, where her very human boyfriend is waiting for her… I will let you imagine the drama it caused, and that’s when I really got into the story. From this point on it was all action, drama and fight-for-life scenes and I truly enjoyed myself!

Armstrong also create a great collection of characters which I quickly grew fond of. Elena is a though girl, yet has her flaws and the mixed worked really well – see fireworks and passion – with Clayton, the Alpha’s adopted son. Clay is model hawt but he is more animal than human and makes for some really awkward – yet delicious- human interaction scenes. Jeremy – the pack’s alpha- is a silent yet powerful father figure and I would totally want this kind of guy to take me under his wing if I were in trouble. The rest of the pack is also amazing and I was sad some of them died so early in the series.

Bitten is the first book to a 13 books series, featuring different females along the way and even though this book is focused on werewolves, more creatures will be introduced has the series progress. I think this first installment sets the pace for an action–packed series and I can’t wait to pick the following titles and discover more of The Women of the Otherworld.

Read an excerpt

tyngasig

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

12 People left their mark' :

  1. This was my first paranormal adult read and I fell in love. Kelley gets all the credit for the books all over my house :).
    vsloboda(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, LOVE this series! So happy to hear that you're finally giving it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SQUEE! I'm sooo happy you gave this series a shot!!!! I LOVE this series!!! Yes, the first few pages are a little slow, but from here on out, the entire series is all ACTION! I cannot wait to hear what you think of the other books! :D!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo I thought I was the only one not having read this series (or anything by this author). Somehow, the books scare me of, but I do want to read a new (for me) great paranormal series. So thanks to your review, I have an extra kick and will push the books up on my shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had this book sitting on my shelf for at a little over a year and I'm so glad to know it is a good start to a series. I can't wait to read this one now. :)

    Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Victoria - I'm afraid to say my first step was twilight o.0

    @Carmel ^^ Working on it!

    @Aurian I hope you enjoy it!

    @Alexa glad you liked it! Let me know what you think once you've read it =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read anything by Kelley yet, but Im a werewolf fan, so I might give this one a lookover. But wow, 13 books?!?! Man, there just isn't enough time in the day to read!


    Smiles!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH this is a wonderful series! I'm glad you picked it up. It's original as some of the books have different narrators. Some don't like it, I enjoy getting to know different characters. Elena is still my favorite, though. Wonderful review!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a copy of this sitting on my shelf to read. I really need to pick it up and try it. LOL I won it a few years ago and I got it signed recently, I think it might be time to read it. LOL

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've read the first two books in this series and while I didn't love this one, I did enjoy it enough to continue on. The 2nd book is much better in my opinion and I'm looking forward to continuing on with the series. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed this one so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you liked it! I actually started this series with the 3rd book, by accident, which is not about werewolves at all (the first 2 books are). Falling in love with Paige was enough to send me back to the beginning to meet Elena, Clay, and Jeremy as we were meant to meet them.

    I <3 this series - it's one of my all time favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it! I read the second book, which I loved even more, jsut need to write my review ^^

      Delete