**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Monday, May 04, 2015

Midnight Crossroad by Charlaine Harris

This book is definitely interesting. There's something mysterious and captivating behind the story and the characters kept me engaged through it all. I'll be the first to admit that this book isn't for everyone. From the various Goodreads reviews, it's obvious readers will have different responses to this first book of the series.

Midnight, Texas is a very small town. It's home to a variety of interesting characters, including a psychic, a witch, a vampire, a gay couple with a dog, a straight couple with a baby, and other seemingly normal people. One thing they all have in common, however, is that they all have their secrets. Manfred the psychic, the newest guy in town, quickly learns that no one asks questions in this small community. Those who want to share do, but it's unseemly to flat out ask about people's history. Manfred is alright with that until strange things start to happen. Especially when the community finds a decomposing body on the outskirts of town. Questions are now guaranteed.

The main reason why this book won't be for everyone is the slow build up. Not everyone will appreciate the slow and detailed introduction to the characters. Personally, I really liked it because it allowed me to really understand the characters before things unraveled. I'll admit, the book isn't full of action. It isn't even full of paranormal stuff. I would classify this book as a mystery first, with paranormal elements infused to add depth and detail. It's almost as if the author couldn't get away from the genre that truly made her famous. But somehow it works and I'm glad for the paranormal stuff.

Enter this book with an open mind. Forget that Charlaine Harris is behind the Sookie Stackhouse books. I haven't read Harris' other series so I can't speak for those, but Midnight Crossroad is definitely different from the Sookie books. It kind of reminds me a little of Kelley Armstrong's Cainsville series with the murder investigation and the constant secrets. It also has the mysteriousness of a Stephen King novel with all its different characters and point of views.

I'm keeping this review short because I truly believe readers need to explore it on their own. Do I recommend this book? Yes and no. Yes, because I really enjoyed it, despite being a little disappointed with the very little amount of action it included. No, because I don't want to be responsible for recommending a book that you won't like. I will be checking out the next book, which is releasing this week because the residents of Midnight, Texas charmed me as much as the ones from Bon Temps, Louisiana did. I definitely want to know more about them and see where their stories will lead us.

stephsig moon

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

3 People left their mark' :

  1. [* WordPress Simple Firewall plugin marked this comment as "pending" because: Human SPAM filter found "blog soon" in "comment_content". *]
    You summed up this book pretty well and I would agree that it is not for everyone. I just finished an ARC of Day Shift and need to post my review on my blog soon. I enjoyed it so much more than the first, although I liked them both. I never really considered it but it does remind me of the Cainsville series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read this book before the series starts to take off, and I can't catch up. It's on my wish list, so I hope to grab it soon. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I reviewed this and Day Shift recently, it does start slowly and I nearly gave up on it but I'm glad I didn't, Day Shift is even better!

    ReplyDelete