**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Beckon Me by Cindy Thomas

This fantastic New Adult book has just the right mix of college life, friendship, romance, and ghosts!

Beckon Me is only the second New Adult book I've tried.  I've been hesistant, under the misbelief that New Adult is just YA with sex.  Boy, was I wrong!  If all New Adult is anything like Beckon Me, its more about the age of the characters (college or very young adult) and the depth of the characters' interactions with each other and with the world.

Karina and Rainey, best friends, go out together one night during their freshman year to see a photography exhibit.  In an instant, their lives are changed when they come upon a mugging, and get shot.  In that instant, Karina learns that souls don't die with the physical body; they cross over into whatever is next.  Unfortunately, something goes awry and Rainey's soul doesn't cross over.  It lingers, and it's scaring the crap out of her.  Essentially "haunting" her.

Cindy Thomas has written wonderfully complex characters that the reader can't help but fall in love with.  Reading the scenes where the main character, Karina, is hanging out with first Rainey and then Gabby took me right back to my own college days.  Not only that, but I truly wanted to be in the apartment with them, eating ice cream, watching movies, or going out to a club to let loose.  I think the author did a fantastic job with Karina--writing her character in such a way that we see her internal struggle when it comes to making new friends.  Is it a betrayal of her best friendship with Rainey to accept Gabby's friendship?  Absolutely not!  And are you into romance?  There's this lovely slow build between Karina and Eli, the hot guy next door.  The sexual tension was killing me!  You see, he's not only hot and right next door and a fellow student at Backbay University, he's also witty and ever-present, always making himself right at home with Karina in class or at home.  He's her trainer (more on that in the next paragraph), and he's got a great physique (which Cindy Thomas does a fantastic job describing (fans myself)), and there's a hint of "maybe it's forbidden" thrown in.  No spoilers, but I will let you know that there's no behind-closed-bedroom-doors scenes, in case you're not into that.

As I mentioned, Eli is Karina's trainer.  Rainey's ghost keeps popping up in Karina's life, and this is because she's been marked as a possible Beckoner recruit.  Beckoners are people who help guide souls to the other side.  There are many pros and cons to accepting the job, one of which is that Karina will be able to help guide Rainey's soul, and release her from a purgatory-type place.  I thought this was pretty cool:  Karina essentially gets to "job shadow" or "intern" with Eli before making the final decision.  There are a few months in which they train and talk about all the aspects of the job before she makes her decision.  It turns out it's not as straightforward as Karina thinks.  You'll be kept guessing until the end whether or not Karina is willing and able to accept the danger!

I am so very, very glad I decided to give this New Adult romance/paranormal/friendship book a try, and will be waiting very impatiently for the next book in the duology!

Marie

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

3 People left their mark' :

  1. Great review. This is new to me and I'm very intrigued. I'm curious about the beckoner concept and what the dangers are. Glad you enjoyed your second experience with New Adult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review (as usual)! Ever since 50 Shades hit it big, it's been a gamble when looking at titles that are 'adult'. I'm no prude but, when I want to read a story with that much steam, I'll look for it specifically. I'm glad to see some authors realize that sometimes less is more. I may have to check this one out, myself.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I read NA, just not as much. I have to find the book appealing, or I will just keep strolling. The cover alone would have made me pick it up to read the synopsis. Added to my TBR!!

    ReplyDelete