**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Sunday, January 13, 2013

The Vicious Deep by Zoraida Córdova

cordova - vicious deepThe Vicious Deep by Zoraida Córdova

Book Stats:

Reading level: YA
ARC: 370 pages
Genre: Paranormal
Publisher: Sourcebooks
Release date: May 1, 2012

Series: The Vicious Deep #1

Reviewed by: Stéphanie

Source: Won

Purchase: Amazon | Book Depository

For Tristan Hart, everything changes with one crashing wave.

He was gone for three days. Sucked out to sea in a tidal wave and spit back ashore at Coney Island with no memory of what happened. Now his dreams are haunted by a terrifying silver mermaid with razor-sharp teeth.

His best friend Layla is convinced something is wrong. But how can he explain he can sense emotion like never before? How can he explain he's heir to a kingdom he never knew existed? That he's suddenly a pawn in a battle as ancient as the gods.

Something happened to him in those three days. He was claimed by the sea...and now it wants him back.

When I was child, one of my favorite movies was Disney’s The Little Mermaid. So it comes to no surprise that I would be interested in this mermaid/merman book. There’s just something special and attractive about the ocean, and so I felt compelled to pick up this book. While I did enjoy the story and the mythology, it did have a few shortcomings.

I think my expectations were set too high and I was disappointed with the result.The actual story was very entertaining and the mythology of the merfolk was well thought out, but I was a bit disappointed with the writing. The pace of the story was very fast, and while sometimes that means non-stop action, in this case it felt like the scenes were rushed and unfinished. At times, it was hard to follow the storyline since the change of scenes was too quick and I felt lost entering a new one. I think the introduction of vampires was unnecessary and it introduced us to characters that didn’t have any real purpose. In my opinion, some scenes should have been cut out, while others could have used a little more expansion.

I did find Tristan Hart, the main character, a little egocentric but that’s to be expected with a teenage boy, especially when he learns he’s in line to be the king of the merfolk. And especially when he learns he’s a merman. Right until a freak storm hit Coney Island, he had no clue about his heritage. With a human father and a mermaid mother, he was raised as a human boy after his grandfather, the king, bound his tail when he was a baby. However, nothing could pull him away from the sea. A great swimmer and a beach lifeguard, you could say water runs in his blood.

Tristan’s relationship with Layla, his best friend, is typical in the sense that both want to be together but their long friendship prevents either of them from making the first step. Their almost-relationship is entertaining but my favorite characters have to be Kurt and Thalia, Tristan’s “mermaid cousins.” Thalia’s naivety about the human world is funny and Kurt’s a riot because he tries to be so serious all the times.

I’m anxious to learn more about these mermaids—oops—merfolk. These are definitively not similar to the ones portrayed  by Disney. Some are absolutely vicious, while others will simply charm you senseless. Even if I’m not crazy about THE VICIOUS DEEP, I do plan to read the next book. Hopefully the writing will improve because the story has only just begun! Tristan’s quest to prove that he would be a worthy king will certainly bring new adventures to him and his friends. The cliffhanger at the end will definitively leave you hanging because if feels as if the author stopped right in the middle of Tristan’s “quest.”

0stephsig

6 People left their mark' :

  1. I have seen this book around a couple of times on other blogs and have never really known what it is about. Your review was indepth and straight to the point, no nonesense filler about the things you did like to overcame the short fallings the book had. I like this review ... alot (actually, lol) because it gives me what to expect and even though the writing wasn't your cup of tea you're still going to read the next one leaving me to think there is something great going on in this book. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to read the next one. I believe in giving authors a second chance. Maybe the writing will be a bit more refined in book two so that I can enjoy it more!

      Delete
  2. Well, I have not heard of this book. But I DO love books about merfolk. They are just so beautiful and enchanting. Stephanie, depending on your review, I would love to recommend Ciye Cho's Florence Waverly series. It will definitely satisfy you and every reader out there. Absolutely adore his writing and his amazing use of words and the world building is fantastic!
    LOVED your review
    Your reader,
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check it out! Thank's for the recommendation.

      Delete
  3. Yeep, you have me worried now. I picked this book up last week on a whim, and haven't gotten around to reading it yet. Oh pretty cover, I hope you've not let me astray.

    ~ Lindie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might not have been crazy about the book but that doesn't mean you won't like it. I hope you enjoy it more than I did!

      Delete