**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Succubi are Forever by Jill Myles

Succubi are foreverSuccubi Are Forever by Jill Myles

Book stats:
Reading level: Adult
Genre: Paranormal Romance/ Urban Fantasy
Publisher: published by Jill Myles
Release date: April 20th 2012

Series: Succubus Diaries #4

Source: Personal Shelf

Reviewed by: Christine

Purchase: Amazon | Book Depository

SUCCUBI ARE FOREVER

Tasked by the Archangel Gabriel, Jackie Brighton must find two more lost archangel halos before she's free of her deal. But she's not the only one hunting for the immense power the halos bring, and everyone around her has motives - succubi, serim, and vampire. It's a race to the finish line, and only one person is going to come out on top.

But will Jackie stand tall when even her allies are set to betray her? Noah Gideon is back, and he's never liked taking 'no' for an answer. The mysterious assassin Sophie is helping out, but Sophie has her own agenda. So does Jackie's newest rival, the ancient hetaera Phryne, who wants to use the halos to give a new world to succubi everywhere - one that doesn't involve their masters.

Every immortal wants those halos, but Jackie's not sure they're worth her life, or Zane's freedom.

But she might not have a choice.

Reading the last book in a series I like always makes me nervous. I sometimes have a very specific idea of how the story should end and I’ve been known to hold off reading the final installment of a series for a ridiculous long time. However, when I noticed that the final installment of Jill Myles’s Succubi Diaries series was released, I didn’t hesitate to read it for a second.

Jackie’s story has been an adventurous, bumpy ride, full of love, heartbreak and steamy sex and it finds a very fitting and satisfying conclusion in Succubi Are Forever.

All of the characters have evolved a lot since the beginning of the series and Zane has been one my favorite heroes ever. What he is and was willing to endure for Jackie proves how deep his feelings for Jackie are. Right from the beginning, I’ve always rooted for the two of them as a couple and there was one moment of shock in the book that really made me doubt the possibility of a HEA for the two of them. Still, by that very story twist, Jill Myles kept the tension up right to the end of the book.

All in all, Succubi Are Forever reminded me again why I will miss this series so much. A cast of likeable and funny characters for one. Remy, Jackie’s best friend and fellow succubus never fail to brightened the mood and make you laugh. One highlight of this book: the citations for Remy’s memoir(s). In one word: hilarious. I also adore her and Ethan’s relationship. Ethan’s naiveté makes him incredibly endearing.

I’m glad that the love triangle is off the table by now and the romance is only focused on Zane and Jackie. I already mentioned that I love him, but I can’t stress it enough. He has developed from a slightly arrogant vampire to someone who is willing to make the ultimate sacrifice for the one he loves. But not only Zane is willing to go to great lengths for their relationship, Jackie also shows how important the relationship is for her. Jill Myles ups the stakes in this book for the two of them and puts her characters in a position where they are forced to make an impossible decision. The heartbreak, pain and shock that ensues doesn’t just affect the characters, but also made me feel for them while reading. The love scenes were very steamy and raised the heat level in the room considerably. Zane gives a whole new meaning to the word love bites! :)

The search for the halos is exciting, the setbacks created tension and kept me very engaged in the story. The addition of new characters breathes new life into the story and the antagonists in this book are a group I wouldn’t mind to learn more about.

Finishing Succubi Are Forever was a bittersweet experience. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I’m very pleased with the ending. In a way, the end is positive or at least conciliatory for each character. However, it made me sad to have to say goodbye to a bunch of characters I’ve grown to love over the years. Still, I am very thankful that I, at least, got the chance to get closure for Jackie and her friends. If there should ever be any new story set in this universe, I’ll be among the first to read it.

I rarely recommend books and if so, only the ones I’m 100% sure about. If you like light, funny and sexy urban fantasy with loveable characters and an engaging story, I wholeheartedly recommend this series.

Chrisig

Christine lives in Munich and studies psychology to find out what makes people tick. Hopelessly addicted to books, she can often be found reading the latest urban fantasy and paranormal romance novels. When she´s not reading, you can find her going to concerts, at a swimming pool or riding horseback through Andalusia with her older sister.

0 comments:

Post a Comment