**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Monday, February 06, 2012

Dragon Bound by Thea Harrison

Dragon Bound THea Harrison Dragon Bound by Thea Harrison

Book Stats:
Genre: Paranormal romance
Mass Market Paperback: 336 pages
Publisher: Berkley
Release date: May 3, 2011

Series: Elder Races #1

Source: Library

Reviewed by: Jenn

Purchase: Amazon | Book Depository

Half-human and half-Wyr, Pia Giovanni spent her life keeping a low profile among the Wyrkind and avoiding the continuing conflict between them and their Dark Fae enemies. But after being blackmailed into stealing a coin from the hoard of a dragon, Pia finds herself targeted by one of the most powerful–and passionate—of the Elder Races.

As the most feared and respected of the Wyrkind, Dragos Cuelebre cannot believe someone had the audacity to steal from him, much less succeed. And when he catches the thief, Dragos spares her life, claiming her as his own to further explore the desire they’ve ignited in each other.

Pia knows she must repay Dragos for her trespass, but refuses to become his slave--although she cannot deny wanting him, body and soul...

I’ve been reading a lot about Thea Harrison on the blogosphere lately and reviews have been nearly uniformly full of praise. My local public library didn’t have a copy but I managed to snag borrow a copy while I was at my parents’ place for the holidays. All I have to say now is: I can’t believe it took me this long!

When I first picked up Dragon Bound, I was worried that the book would remind me too much of Deborah Cooke’s Dragonfire series, which is all about dragons, also known as the Pyr. I enjoy that series so comparison wouldn’t have been a bad thing but they certainly would have been distracting. Thankfully, Thea Harrison has created a world that feels fresh and layered and filled with characters I can’t get enough of!

In the world of the Elder Races, there are all sorts of preternatural beings: goblins, the fae, witches, and the Wyr, who are shapeshifters. Dragos is one of the oldest and most powerful Wyr in the world and he rules over one of seven demesnes, based out of New York. Pia, in contrast, is a 25-year-old half-breed who can’t access many of her Wyr gifts. Despite the difference in age and ability, Pia is Dragos’ equal, standing up to him and speaking her mind in ways no one else has dared. And with her looks and ramblings and mysterious background, Dragos finds himself intrigued in a way he hasn’t been in eons. Plus the chemistry between them pretty much set the book on fire. Pia and Dragos have an electric connection and it makes all of their scenes together sexy and smart and so much fun to read.

Of all the characters in Dragon Bound, Pia is definitely my favourite. She is awesomely quippy, resourceful, and lonely, a combination that makes her a compelling heroine and an intriguing counterpart for Dragos. The back and forth between Pia and Dragos -- and Pia and pretty much every other character -- is fantastic and I had to stop from laughing out loud a couple times since I was on the subway and everyone looks at you funny when you do that in public. I also found myself more and more charmed by Dragos as he puzzled his way through her feelings for Pia.

Dragos surrounds himself with some very powerful and intriguing friends, who are the subjects of future novels. (Woo!) In fact, my favourites, Tricks, Dragos’ P.R. faerie, who befriends Pia, and Rune, Dragos’ right hand man, are the focus of the second and third books in the series, respectively. In fact, all of the characters in the book were well written, even if they only appeared for a few scenes, like Stanford, who I found absolutely adorable.

Dragon Bound is one of the best paranormal romance novels I’ve read recently and I can’t wait to see what else Thea Harrison has in store for us. I hope my local library gets Storm’s Heart, the next book, soon. These characters and this world are just too good!

Read an excerpt

Jennsig2

Born and raised in the Toronto area, Jenn moved to St. John's, Newfoundland, eight years ago for school. She's still in school (thankfully on another degree!), now trapped in her dissertation. When she's not dissertating, which happens more often than it should, Jenn spends her time reading, watching movies, playing volleyball, travelling, and enjoying the local music scene. Her latest addictions: yoga and Almond Crunch cereal.

5 People left their mark' :

  1. I need this book coz I won the third book before... Thanks for the review, I'm looking forward to reading it now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have Serpent's Kiss? Lucky! I love Rune and I bet his story's going to be wonderful.

      Delete
  2. I am loving this series. I can't wait to find out more about "peanut."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you also like the book Tynga, and in my opinion the books keep getting better. So you have some good reading hours to look forward to :)

    ReplyDelete