**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Daring You To Read…Moon Called by Patricia Briggs

daringyou

I am a huge fan of Patricia Briggs’ Mercy Thompson series and frequently re-read these books. Now, I’m daring you to read the first book in the series, Moon Called.

Mercy is a VW mechanic who also happens to be a walker, capable of magically shifting into a coyote. Unlike werewolves (or other were-beasties), Mercy’s transformation aren’t tied to the moon and don’t tax her so she can shift as much or as little as she likes. She lives in the Tri-States area, in a world filled with other supernaturals, including werewolves, witches, the fae and vampires. Mercy also has an unusual upbringing: she doesn’t know much about her father and she was raised by the Marrok, the leader of all the werewolves in America. Needless to say, she’s got a strong personality, some knowledge about things that go bump in the night, and she’s handy with a wrench.

Patricia Briggs has done an amazing job of creating a world with fantastic mythology, interesting characters, and compelling plotlines. Mercy and the two men (and werewolves) in her life, Adam and Samuel, are fantastic characters and it’s a lot of fun watching them negotiate their relationships. Both guys are fantastic and you can see why both men have appealed to Mercy. There are also a host of secondary characters that I love, like Jesse and Ben.

There are six books out in the series so far and each new entry is stronger than the last. Characters grow, the dangers change, but some things remain delightfully constant, like Mercy’s tendency to find trouble. Patricia Briggs isn’t afraid to put her characters through the wringer so be prepared for some emotional scenes, as well as some wonderfully choreographed action. Plus, the covers by Daniel Dos Santos are absolutely gorgeous!

And if you can’t get enough of this world, you can always check out the spin-off series, Alpha and Omega, which I like but not nearly as much as I love the Mercy books.

The blurb for Moon Called isn’t all that descriptive but here it is:

image

 

Mercy Thompson's life is not exactly normal. Her next-door neighbor is a werewolf. Her former boss is a gremlin. And she's fixing a VW bus for a vampire. But then, Mercy isn't exactly normal herself.

Read an excerpt

 

Tynga’s review | Jenn’s review

 

Purchase: Amazon | Book Depository

 

I’ve recommended this series to many people and it’s always well received so I hope the trend will continue with you all.

Jenn’s thoughts on the rest of the series:

image  image image image image

 Tynga’s reviews:

image  image image image image

Want to participate in Daring You To Read? Here’s how:

- You choose a book you’ve read, loved and would dare your readers to read!

- The book you choose must be an older release (at least 6 months ago), because let’s be honest, we’re all quite aware of the latest releases.

- Write your own blog post, using the button and linking back to Tynga’s Reviews, inviting your readers to read your chosen book.

- Come back on Tynga’s Reviews and put your link in the linking tool.

- Browse other bloggers Dare and let them know if you’ve read their featured book, or plan on reading it.

- Super easy and an awesome way to discover that special book who might have slipped off your radar!

Have you read any – or all – of the Mercy Thompson series?

Don’t forget to add your own Daring You To Read… post in the linky below.



Jennsig2

Born and raised in the Toronto area, Jenn moved to St. John's, Newfoundland, eight years ago for school. She's still in school (thankfully on another degree!), now trapped in her dissertation. When she's not dissertating, which happens more often than it should, Jenn spends her time reading, watching movies, playing volleyball, travelling, and enjoying the local music scene. Her latest addictions: yoga and Almond Crunch cereal.

10 People left their mark' :

  1. Mercy Thompson and Alpha/Omega are two of my favorite series. I just wish Patty could write faster, but then the books probably wouldn't be as good. I can't wait till Fair Game comes out - not till March unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I own all the books and got my sister to read the series. It's funny you posted about the series, I just started re-reading Bone Crossed last night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Mercy Thompson series. I also enjoy the alpha & omega series. Love Anna & Charles. Love Adam from Mercy series. Like Sam too, and hope he finds someone. I have not read River Marked yet. Still have not got that one. Can't wait for the new Alpha & Omega book to come out in March.
    Great review.
    christinebails@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely a great choice!!! I cannot wait to read this series!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE this series, Jenn you beat me there, I was gonna feature it soon lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pick! This a great series! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a wonderful pick. Who doesn't love this series. I picked another book that I loved for this week. I can't wait for the next Mercy Thompson book.

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even though I've read the Alpha & Omega books and own every book in this series that's been released so far, I haven't read them yet. >.>

    This gives me a good reason to get moving, lol.

    <3,
    -J

    ReplyDelete
  9. @JenM: Agreed!

    @Anne: I just started re-reading Iron Kissed, which is what inspired me to do this series as my DYTR post this week.

    @Chrisbails: River Marked is a little different from the other books but soooooo good!

    @Moonlight Gleam: Can't wait to hear what you think of it!

    @Tynga: LOL! I felt that way when I saw your VA post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Amber: Thanks!

    @Grace: I agree. Waiting until 2013 is going to be so hard!

    @Jess: I'm sure you'll love it once you start reading them.

    ReplyDelete