**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Saturday, August 26, 2017

Stacking the Shelves [269]


Stacking The Shelves is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks!
If you want to find out more about Stacking The Shelves, please visit the official launch page!
——————

Hello all! 

I've been absent from STS for a bit as I've been busy on maternity leave and it's been much harder to read and blog on my current schedule. Since I won't be blogging YA, all of these are adult titles I have wanted to read but that have been harder to find the time for during my normal rapacious appetite of young adult. However, here's some books I've added to my shelves recently:


 Throne of Jade by Naomi Novik (Temeraire, 2)
Recently read. Review coming soon! 
I loved His Majesty's Dragon so it's been hard to keep away from the next few in the series!

  Black Powder War by Naomi Novik (Temeraire, 3)
Recently read. Review coming soon! 

  Empire of Ivory by Naomi Novik (Temeraire, 4)
Recently read. Review coming soon! 

Victory of Eagles by Naomi Novik (Temeraire, 5)
To be read soon!

I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella
Recently completed. 
I have loved Kinsella's books since reading the Shopaholic series as a teen, and I've missed her last few pubs. This one was very cute and I enjoyed it a lot.

 Wedding Night by Sophie Kinsella
Recently completed. 
I liked I've Got Your Number better than this one since it was a rather horrifying comedy of errors that had the potential to ruin many relationships permanently!

Today Will Be Different by Maria Semple
Recently completed.
This title is my library's Community Read for 2017, where we nominate a book to read as a community. It wasn't my favorite book, but especially the parent-child relationship was entertaining in this novel.


 Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
Recently completed.
Since the tv show's release, I've been trying to read this before watching. I was caught off guard at many points, especially the ending. Still, it was addicting and horrifying at the same time. The tv show acting was phenomenal (with that cast, how could it NOT have been) even if they introduced the affair in a problematic place, IMO. 


 The Horse Dancer by Jojo Moyes
Recently completed.
I'm working my way through Jojo Moyes's books after reading Me Before You (I LOVED this one, especially the movie too), After You, and One Plus One (hilarious). This one was seemed to go from the darkest of deep holes to a much more positive place, but I loved the ending.


 A Darker Shade of Magic by V. E. Schwab
Recently completed.
I still don't know what to make of this book though I loved Lila, and am eagerly anticipating reading the second book, but have to convince my library to get the ebook first...


The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss
Currently reading.
I loved The Name of the Wind and have been trying to read this second book for awhile, but it is SO LONG, it's been hard to find the time to start this one. 

Hope you enjoy! What have you added to your shelves lately? 

Kara is a teen librarian living in the southeastern US with her husband (who listens to books), young daughter (who sleeps with books), and dog (who tastes the books). She loves all sorts of books, but mostly YA, and will never catch up to all of the wonderful things to read.

22 People left their mark' :

  1. Sophie Kinsella's Wedding Night looks good. I love her writing and how her books make me feel. I hope you enjoy all these books once you read them. Have a wonderful week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to read more Sophie Kinsella books I have only read one and it was her YA book but I really want to read her shopaholic series

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, the cover of A Darker Shade of Magic looks really nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to have to look into the Naomi Novak books. They look really interesting. - Katie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you taking a YA break? I have no idea why I never finished The Name of the Wind! Someday I really need to go back and either reread it or just finish it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm taking a bit of a YA break as I'm mostly reading from ebooks since there's not enough hands for reading a real book with a baby in the other arm! :) I'll probably be back to YA soon (and there will be some intermittent YA here and there as I can get e-copies).

      Delete
  6. Great haul! I love Sophie Kinsella but I agree Wedding Night is not that good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adored Sophie Kinsella in my early 20s. I did like both I've Got You Number and Wedding Night (def Number more), but have straight given up on the Shopaholic series.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree the acting was fantastic in Big Little Lies but I think the book was way better and funny! There were some definite dark parts but being a stay at home mom for 15 years, I had to laugh at some very accurate parts of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice haul. Love Sophie Kinsella's sense of humor with her romance bits.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved Big Little Lies...and also enjoyed I've Got Your Number. I'm now curious about The Horse Dancer. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many wonderful books!!! I have only read a few Naomi Novik ones, but I think she is a wonderful writer. Congratulations on your baby. This is a time of change for you, but books can be an amazing distraction when you want it. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I recently got Wedding Night and I've Got Your Number with some other books and some of Shopaholic books too! I read her Can You Kepep a Secret and fell in love with her writing!
    ~Priyanka @ A Booklion's Hideaway

    ReplyDelete
  13. My husband loves Patrick Rothfuss. He has been trying to get me to read The Name of the Wind for quite a while now. I want to give it a try eventually but haven't found the time. I also own I've Got Your Number but I haven't gotten to read that one either. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie,
      Don't be intimidated by the size of the Name of the Wind! It reads super quickly whenever you do pick it up!

      Delete
  14. I've always enjoyed Sophie Kinsella's books. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on your new baby! The Shades of Magic series by V.E. Schwab is one of my favorites, so I hope you'll continue to enjoy it as you move on to the second book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll make a post about Shades of Magic book 2 when I finish it!

      Delete
  16. I really want to read Big Little Lies! I've heard the book by Schwab is very good. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The title for The Wise Man Fears has me curious. Good one.
    sherry @ fundinmental Sunday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Wedding Night by Sophie Kinsella! First, I had ordered an essay on this book (good one, I even left aspeedypaper review), and only then I read it. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete