**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Saturday, October 10, 2015

Stacking The Shelves {180}

Stacking the Shelves


Stacking The Shelves is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks!


If you want to find out more about Stacking The Shelves, please visit the official launch page!


——————


This time around, I have collected a variety of books that I loved and some that I haven't.  The one common thread among them is they seem to be all honest efforts to communicate ideas.  Here are some of the ideas I've been reading through:


Robert's STS_Oct


 


For all you aspiring (or in my own case wishful) an excellent addition to your library is Between You and Me: Confessions of a Comma Queen by Mary Norris.  It's an interesting and fun peek into the world of editing and proof reading.

The Diabolical Miss Hyde: Electric Empire Series #1 by Viola Carr  and A Vision of Fire by Gillian Anderson and Jeff Rovin are two books I'll share more about later!

The Jungle by Upton Sinclair is one of those classics that I really didn't like.  I understand writing a story that has an agenda but, when you sacrifice things like character depth, I lose interest.

My thoughts on The Utterly Uninteresting and Unadventurous Tales of Fred the Vampire Accountant by Drew Hays can be found here.  It's definitely a fun read!

Mutineer: Kris Longknife, Book 1 by Mike Stepherd is one of those science fiction books I choose not to review.  It has a significant fan base and I hope they enjoy the series.  I just want to say, the name Mary Sue comes to mind.Signing October

 Due to my own mistake when it came to dates, I missed the Jim Butcher signing of the Aeronaut's Windlass at The Mysterious Galaxy Bookstore.  I did manage to show up for Brandon Sanderson's signing of Shadows of Self .  Not only did Mr. Sanderson do a reading, he also talked about Sejong the Great of Korea, his alphabet and how literacy helps spread thoughts and ideas.  I could never do justice to the talk in this small space but, maybe I'll do my own take on the subject in a Soapbox post.


So, what salient bits of self expression have you added to your shelves?


 


Roberts Signature


[inlinkz_linkup id=570661]

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

18 People left their mark' :

  1. Nice new selection of books, Robert! Too bad you missed Jim Butcher's signing! I would love to pick his brain a little bit :D
    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder how involved Gillian Anderson was in the writing of that book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome haul of books. I see that you got some great books this week. I hate when you miss a signing. I hope you love all your new books this week.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wondered the same thing but, not as much as I did when I saw a book about Mycroft Holmes co-written by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. It's not that I doubt the intellect of either of them but, it's a little like Bruce Willis singing or Cher acting. If it's not absolutely wonderful, it might not seem very good at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Grace! My confusion on the signing came from wanting to attend both and only planning to attend one. I pre-ordered the Butcher book and planned on showing up on the date for Sanderson's signing. I realized my mistake just before going to bed on the day of Butcher's signing :( but, was able to pre-order the Sanderson book :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Lexxie! I was really looking forward to meeting Jim Butcher. I could never consider Brandon Sanderson as a mere consolation prize. It's like finding out you didn't win the black Cadillac Escalade and had to settle for the red Cadillac Escalade instead. Either way, I won :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gillian Anderson, really? Curious to hear how that one turns out. Sanderson's signing sounds like it was a wonderful event. I'll have to make sure and see him when he's in my town. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! I saw that Kareem book also! I actually plan to read it just to see what it's all about! Maybe it's a new trend of famous non-authors "co-writing" with someone who is unable to get published without a strong name behind their work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You had a great week! Enjoy the new one...

    ReplyDelete
  10. While you missed meeting Jim Butcher in person, you did wind up with the signed copy! Following all the high recommendations of my reading frieds, I've borrowed The Aeronaut's Windlass from the library. And, my niece bought a copy of Shadows of Self which she is sharing with me. I'll be interested in reading your reviews of both books.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ya know, I've been wanting to go to Mysterious Galaxy Bookstore. It's like the only one in the area that has a lot of signings. I always forget to check their page though. So, I'm sure I'm missing a lot of awesome stuff. Glad you were able to make the one and still snag a signed copy of Aeronaut’s Windlass.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Kristin. Mysterious Galaxy has quite a few 'Signed Firsts' that they advertise on their website. I had to keep my self-control fully engaged Thursday night :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. After this one, I would show up to one of his signings even if I didn't want the book (as if). He also mentioned he takes part in the podcast 'Writing Excuses'. It is very entertaining and very informative.
    I did a review earlier of The Aeronaut's Windlass if you want to check that one out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm totally jealous of your Shadows of Self signed copy! He's a great writer and I would have loved to have met him!! Great stash overall too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry you missed the signing. I would love to meet Jim too. Maybe next time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great haul of books. Hope you enjoy them all. I see some I recognize and am curious about. :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice book haul! I never knew Gillian Anderson was writing books. Curious on how good a writer she is. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete