**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Married With Zombies by Jesse Petersen

I’ve been binge watching The Walking Dead lately so that made me revisit my favorite zombie novels, MARRIED WITH ZOMBIES. Since it’s nothing like the famous AMC TV show, I would say the only thing they have in common is zombies. However, this is the book that started my fascination with zombies. Before, I was a little disgusted/afraid of them but now, I simply see them as unfortunate beings that can sometimes bring comedy in books like MARRIED WITH ZOMBIES.

I guess you can say the book begins like any contemporary book where a couple is having marital issues. Sarah and David have been seeing a couple’s therapist about their problems and they were actually on their way to therapy when they first discovered the apocalypse was upon them. The whole scenario is actually quite funny and ironic because what was making their marriage fail was their ordinary life, while what eventually makes them a stronger unit is the end of the world. And the most ironic thing is that what really begins their reconciliation is actually killing their marriage counselor turned zombie.

I would say Jesse Petersen’s comedy is really original. I’ve never encountered another book that’s quite like it. The humor and the zombie-ness is balanced perfectly and she is able to pull off the comedy really well, in what could have been a disastrous attempt to make light of a difficult genre to write. I really admire her ability to make you laugh and keep things light, while still making her hero and heroine fight off hordes of zombies. And she’s not afraid of gruesome details. And what’s even better is the fact that the humour is actually the kind of humour that makes you laugh out loud and make you stop reading because you have the absorb the greatness of the hilarity. It’s not just haha filler-type comedy.

Sarah and David’s quest to find safety makes them depend on one another. Their hope, not only to survive this thing, but their hope for their relationship makes this somewhat a romantic story. It does have those chick-lit moments but for those of you who stay clear of those, they are few and far between. It’s still nice to read about their relationship and how it evolves throughout the novel.

If you’re remotely interested in zombies, you definitely have to read this book. If you’re curious about zombies, you definitely have to read this book. If you’re crazy about zombies, you definitely  have to read this book. If you think zombies aren’t your thing, you have to at least try it, please! It will most probably change your opinion about zombies. This is without a doubt, my favorite zombie book and series. You can’t get any better than this!

stephsig_thumb-25255B1-25255D6

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

2 People left their mark' :

  1. This book has been sitting on my shelf for ages. Looks like I need to read it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really hate zombies, but I won this book and so I had to read it. And to my own surprise, I liked it a lot. Will I read more zombies? No.

    ReplyDelete