**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Monday, August 20, 2012

Boyfriend From Hell by Jamie Quaid

Boyfriend from Hell (Saturn's Daughter, #1)Boyfriend From Hell by Jamie Quaid

Book Stats:
Mass Market Paperback: 400 pages
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Reading Level: Adult
Publisher: Pocket Books
Release date: September 25, 2012

Series: Saturn’s Daughter #1

Source: Edelweiss

Reviewed by: Tynga

Purchase: Amazon | Book Depository

They say justice is blind. But Justine isn’t.

Justine (Tina) Clancy is just an ordinary law student with a faulty arrest record, a part-time job in Baltimore’s radioactive Zone, and a family secret so bizarre even she doesn’t believe it. That is, until in a fit of fury she damns her boyfriend to hell—and it’s exactly where he ends up.

Much to her surprise, Tina is apparently one of Saturn’s daughters, with the power to wield vigilante justice. But poor Max didn’t deserve to go up in flames, even if he did almost run her over with her own car. Tina’s convinced someone cut the brakes—and now a relentless nemesis is stalking her through the Zone’s back alleys, where buildings glow, statues move, and chemical waste exposure comes with interesting consequences. Tina’s usually a loner, but now she needs a posse like no other: a shape-shifting kitten, an invisible thief, a biker gang, a snake-charming private detective, a well-meaning cop, and her sleazy, sexy boss. But in between freeing Max from hell, saving her own neck, and solving a mystery that threatens the Zone and her newfound friends, how is she ever going to study for finals?

Life has been hard on Justine Clancy. Her mom moved her around all the time then ditched her to move to Europe, she’s been physically crippled by a police officer and spent months in the hospital afterward and kept a limp as a reminder and has to work in The Zone to survive while finishing law school. Let’s say she had enough on her plate, but everything got worst when her boyfriend tried to kill her then died, right after she witnessed a couple of students being run over and her cash deposit had been stolen. To say it was a bad day doesn’t cover it.

I would lie if I said I was sold to this book right away, but after a few chapters I was really into it! The Zone is a post chemical spill area good –and smart- people usual avoid. Glowing in the dark buildings might have its charms, but if the building glows, you can’t help but wonder what it will do to your DNA. Quaid introduce an original Lore where people living in the area for a while changes, on top of mystical Gods involvement. I have to say, even after finishing the novel the God part is still pretty hazy to me, so hopefully Jamie will reveal more about it – and Justine’s powers- in the following novels.

The characters were most definitely my favourite part of this urban fantasy novel. Clancy is a loveable and capable woman with good intentions but questionable methods. Her rather unusual technics makes for a highly entertaining read and I really liked her “hands off the annoying but oh so sexy boss” policy. Said boss is quite a mystery and I really can’t wait to learn more about him because I thougth he was awesome and his exasperation toward Justine is simply priceless. Tina is surrounded by an amazing selection of characters and I don’t what to mention every one of them, but her cat is worth a howler!

I truly enjoyed the plot and The Zone citizens’ twisted sense of justice. The novel is action-packed from beginning to end, sparkled with a great dose of humour and just a touch of romance. I really think Boyfriend From Hell has everything to please urban fantasy lovers and I would definitely recommend it. Jamie is offering us an highly original tale, because quite frankly, I can’t think of any other novel I could compare it to. I’m anxious for the second instalment!

Read an Excerpt

tynsig

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

4 People left their mark' :

  1. I love the title! Seeing you're a hockey fan, I have to wonder what you think about the potential of a lock out? If there is I guess I just be able to get more books read this winter.
    Happy reading!
    Tammy @ http://bosbooknook.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We I hope there wont be one, of course, but not much we can do about it anyway :( I would most likely always miss the first and part of the second period because its my daughters bedtime hehe

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed this book, you're right it's very different in a good way. Glad you get more into it after a few chapters. great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this review, I have been eyeing this book thanks to the title, but this is the first review I see. And now I do want to read it, very much.

    ReplyDelete