**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Saturday, February 17, 2018

Stacking the Shelves [294]


Stacking The Shelves is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks!
If you want to find out more about Stacking The Shelves, please visit the official launch page!


——————

As you can see from some new blog posts, I've been able to read a bit and adding some new fantastic books to my shelves! Here's some new and old books I've been reading or adding to my TBR pile. And, for kicks, I've added some great quotes to some too.



The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
Recently completed.
I loved that this heroine had a bit more sympathy for Anne Brontë than her sisters.

"Men are more interesting in books than they are in real life."


Renegades by Marissa Meyer (#1)
Recently completed.

Blog post coming soon. 


A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
Recently completed.
This would be loved by any who love grammar and classic English literature for the subtle beauty and observances of prose. Excellent quotes for this book. Here are a few.

"Here, indeed, was a formidable sentence--one, that was on intimate terms with the comma, and that held the period in healthy disregard."
"Poetic concision demands the avoidance of a pair of words when a single word will suffice. . . .With all due respect to poetic concision, the male of the species was endowed with a pair when a single might have sufficed."
"All little girls outgrow their interest in princesses," she said. "In fact, they outgrow their interest in princesses faster than little boys outgrow their interest in clambering about."
"Thus, in the spring of 1928, at the sprightly age of twenty-nine, Anna Urbanova was what the Americans would have called a has-been."
(This was a particularly useful quote. Good to know I've been downgraded at twenty-nine, myself."
(On small children)
"She is no more than thirty pounds; no more than three feet tall; her entire bag of belongings could fit in a single drawer; she rarely speaks unless spoken to; and her heart beats no louder than a bird's. So how is it possible that she takes up so much space?!" 
"Did he remember those days when his children were almost certainly six? When there was a pitter-pat in the hallways an hour before dawn? When every object smaller than an apple was nowhere to be found, until it was right underfoot? When books went unread, letters unanswered, and every train of thought was left incomplete?" (This is my life!)
"There is not, I think, a single country in the civilized world where less attention is paid to philosophy than in the United States. . . The minds of Americans are universally preoccupied with meeting the body's every need and attending to life's little comforts."
"He had said that our lives are steered by uncertainties, many of which are disruptive or even daunting; but that if we persevere and remain generous of heart, we may be granted a moment of supreme lucidity--a moment in which all that has happened to us suddenly comes into focus as a necessary course of events, even as we find ourselves on the threshold of a bold new life that we had been meant to lead all along."



Still Me by Jojo Moyes (Me Before You #3)
Recently completed.

"You shut a library, Louisa, you don't just shut down a building, you shut down hope."
"He was shot through with the American dream--you worked hard, you succeeded, and then you gave back."
"All nonsense about women having it all. We never could and we never shall. Women always have the make the difficult choices."



Turtles All the Way Down by John Green
Recently completed.

Blogging on my personal blog about this one!


Red Rising by Pierce Brown (#1)
Recently re-read.


Golden Son by Pierce Brown (#2)
Currently re-reading.


Morning Star by Pierce Brown (#3)
To be re-read soon!

Blog post coming soon!


Iron Gold by Pierce Brown 
(Second series, #1)
TBR


Tempests and Slaughter by Tamora Pierce
Currently reading (and am LOVING it so far!)

What have you been reading lately?


Kara is a teen librarian living in the southeastern US with her husband (who listens to books), young daughter (who sleeps with books), and dog (who tastes the books). She loves all sorts of books, but mostly YA, and will never catch up to all of the wonderful things to read.

17 People left their mark' :

  1. Hi Tynga, I also just finished reading all three books in the Red Rising Trilogy! Iron Gold should be coming in the mail soon and I look forward to that. It looks like you've been busy reading some pretty nice books! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I have Renegades on the tbr as well. Read Turtles and am interested in reading what you though.

    b

    ReplyDelete
  3. I added the uh... Potato Peel book to my wishlist even if I can't remember it's name! I even hopefully just typed "potato peel" into Goodreads and it seemed to know what I meant.

    Vee @ Under The Mountain

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to start reading that Red Rising series! Everyone seems to really love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely want to read that Pierce Brown series too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many books! I got Renegades last month but I have yet to read it. Hopefully this month.

    Andreea @ CheekyLines.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you love your books! I need to read Red Rising. People keep recommending it to me.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Iron Gold is so exciting! I'll be reading Golden Son soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've only read the first book in the Red Rising series so far but that was so good, I can't wait to continue the series. Hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh nice! These are a few new to me ones! Renegades is in my TBR mountain...somewhere. Lol! I plan to read that one later this year right when I get my hands on the second copy to binge read! At least it's the "plan" to read them this year! Lol! Hope you enjoy the new reads!

    Here's my STS

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lots of awesome books this week! I would love to read any of them. Come check mine out if you get a chance.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society was the first audiobook that I ever listened to, and it made me fall in love with audiobooks! Hope you loved it! I can't wait to see the movie.

    I need to read the Red Rising series. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lots of good books this week. I can't wait to read your review on Renegades.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have Renegades checked out right now but haven't started it yet. I love the character Louisa and I've been meaning to read the next two books in this series. Red Rising is also on my list, okay so I notice we have similar read tastes :) Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete