**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Friday, March 22, 2013

Strange Fates by Marlene Perez

Strange Fates Marlene Perez

Strange Fates by Marlene Perez

Book Stats:
Reading level: New Adult
Print Length: 277 pages
Publisher: Orbit
Release date: March 5, 2013

Series: Nyx Fortuna #1

Source: NetGalley

Reviewed by: Tynga

Purchase: Amazon

The first in a line of three exciting new urban fantasy novels blending elements of Greek myth and forbidden romance against the backdrop of Minnesota's magical underworld.

Brooding, leather jacket-wearing Nyx Fortuna looks like a 20-something, and has for centuries now. As the son of the forgotten fourth Fate, Lady Fortuna, he has been hunted his entire life by the three Sisters of Fate that murdered his mother.

Fed up and out for revenge, Nyx comes to Minneapolis following a tip that his aunts have set up a business there. His goal ­ to bring down his mother's killers and retrieve the thread of fate that has trapped him in the body of a twenty year old unable to age or die.

But when a chance meeting with the mysterious, dangerous and very mortal Elizabeth Abernathy throws off his plans, he must reconcile his humanity and his immortality.

Nyx Fortuna, Son of Fortuna, has been running from his murderous aunts since he was born. See, he is professed to kill them and they plan to put an end to him before he has the chance to. To save him, his mother has hidden his thread of fate and he is looking for it since. When you live alone for hundreds of years, it gets lonely and Nyx is ready to give up. Or he was, until he met Elizabeth.

Highly attractive cover, compelling summary, I requested this novel as soon as I saw it on NetGalley. I enjoyed this novel but I will have to mention some elements that bothered me. Shall we get the negative stuff out of the way first?

I found Marlene Perez’s writing to be very repetitive, especially when it came to Nyx’s past, his aunts, his mother death, his need for revenge etc. I guess she wanted to emphasis on their relationship, but I found it bothersome after a while.

Also, when Nyx meets Elizabeth, he notices right away how she looks a lot like his late ex-girlfriend, and the memories seems painful.  Yet, when the girl asks him if he’s ever been in love, his answer is no and he mutters something along the lines of ‘until I met you’. I don’t know about you, but it just sits wrong with me that he didn’t love his ex-girlfriend and falls in love at first sight with a girl he doesn't even know?  His unconditional and illogical love for her is the element that really annoyed me the whole length of the novel because I just didn’t buy it.

Now let’s focus on the positive. How cool is this guy’s name? Nyx is the name of one of my favourite characters ever, from another series, so I instantly took a liking to him. He is laid back, sarcastic and funny and I really enjoyed following his adventures. I particularly liked his relationship with Talbot and I wished there was even more scenes of the two of them together.

Marlene Perez brought to the table an amazing Greek mythology with her own spin to it and I greatly appreciated its originality. I’m not really clear if the novel is set in an open world though? It seems most people he meets is a paranormal creature, or sworn to an house (Zeus, Poseidon, or Hades, Fates being the fourth), and everyone seems pretty casual about magic. I honestly don’t know.The numerous twist and turns confused me at times, but overall, I had a good time and stayed engaged to the story.

The conclusion wrapped-up the main plot line nicely and set the table for the second instalment, Dark Descent. I still have many questions though, and I guess the second novel will answer them. Who is Nyx’s father? Is there more behind Ambrose’s interest in Nyx? Will he find his thread? What about about Gwen? And Willow?

I haven’t decided yet if I will read the second instalment in the trilogy. I genuinely loved Nyx, Talbot, Ambrose & Willow, but is it enough to counterbalance my annoyance with Elizabeth and Perez’s writing style that I don’t really care for? Either way, Strange Fates is a quick, fun read and I suggest you give it a try and make your own mind about it :)

tynsig

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

2 People left their mark' :

  1. OMG! the guy has the most beautiful eyes :)
    it sounds like a nice book despite the repititive narrative.
    great review

    Ruty@Reading...Dreaming

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, the mythology was amazing! But the Elizabeth thing just didn't make sense to me. I saw nothing loveable in her and couldn't understand why Nyx would stick with her even though he knew she was lying/keeping things from him. Great, balanced review :)

    ReplyDelete